完成 " S " 開頭單字及例句(下)
start 啟程 ; 開始
[Ex] 1. I have a fever and a sore throat. Oh,No! When did it start?
[補充] 1. Do you know how to start the motor?
2. When did you start to learn English?
3. It started to rain at nine o'clock.
4. He started for London this morning.
5. We'll start at six on Friday morning.
6. Summer vacation normally starts in early July.
stay 停留 ; 保持
[Ex] 1. Stay calm and don't panic when unexpected things happen to you.
[補充] 1. He stayed with a friend while he was in Paris.
2. I hope the weather will stay fine.
[片語補充] < stay on > 繼續停留
1. We'll stay on in the village till the autumn harvest is over.
[Ex] 1. What's the trouble ? I had my wallet stolen.
[補充] 1. He steals, but he never kills.
2. A pickpocket stole her watch.
3. I think someone has stolen my jacket.
step 舉步 ; 踏入
[Ex] 1. Does this bus go to Taipei Station? Yes, it does. Step in, please.
2. When her mother died, she had to step into her shoes to run the shop.
[補充] 1. Please step this way.
2. She stepped into the room and sat down in a sofa.
3. He has never stepped foot in this city.
stop 停止 ; 阻止
[Ex] 1. Stop him before he runs away.
2. The train stopped with a jolt.
[補充] 1. It has stopped raining.
2. The policemen stopped the fight.
3. The heavy snow stopped him from coming to our party.
4. The train does not stop at this station.
5. Stop for a while and take a rest.
6. My watch has stopped.
strike 打擊 ; 罷工
[Ex] 1. These matches wouldn't strike.
[補充] 1. He was struck by lightning.
2. She struck him with a stick.
3. The girl struck a match to light a cigarette.
4. His knee struck against the chair.
5. The enemy struck at dawn.
6. The coal miners struck for better safety conditions.
[Ex] 1. He strives vigorously to win contests.
[補充] 1. This is the goal we are striving toward.
2. Today women are striving to occupy positions
previously closed to them.
3. I strove to understand.
struggle 奮鬥 ; 掙扎
[Ex] 1. The doctor struggled to save his patient's life.
2. I got the prize without a struggle.
[補充] 1. They struggled for peace.
2. The old man has been struggling with illness.
3. She struggled to keep back the tears.
4. The baby struggled in its mother's arms.
study 學習 ; 研究
[Ex] 1. Try to study hard, dear. I know , Mom.
[補充] 1. For a year he studied Chinese with me.
2. We need time to study a suitable answer.
3. They studied the question carefully before
they made the decision.
4. My daughter often studies late into the night.
succeed 成功 ; 繼承(+to)
[Ex] 1. He succeeded in the examination.
2. He succeeded to his father's business.
[補充] 1. He succeeded in getting the job.
2. Our plan has succeeded.
3. The millionaire's eldest son will succeed to his estate.
[片語補充] < succeed in > 成功;順利完成
1. They succeeded in solving the problem.
suffer 受苦 ; 折磨 ; 忍受
[Ex] 1. He suffered from rheumatism.
[補充] 1.He suffered many humiliations before he became a football star.
2. He suffered from poverty all his life.
3. My father suffers from high blood pressure.
4. They suffered a great deal in those days.
5. I cannot suffer such rudeness.
[片語補充] < suffer from >
1. She often suffers from headaches.
[Ex] 1. Can you suggest how we should resolve this prlblem ?
[補充] 1. I suggest our going to the park on Sunday.
2. The dentist suggested that she (should) come another day.
suit 適合 ; 相配 ; 訴訟
[Ex] 1. Your hairstyle doesn't suit you.
2. He filed a law suit against the company.
[補充] 1. Would Friday morning suit you?
2. The arrangement suited us both.
3. This dress suits you beautifully.
4. Red does not suit her complexion.
5. The position suits with his abilities.
6. He will bring a suit against his boss.
[Ex] 1. Cows supply milk and hens provide eggs.
2. The market price dropped sharply because of excess supply.
[補充] 1.The lake supplies the town with water.
(=The lake supplies water for [to] the town.)
2. Our farm supplies the market with fruits and vegetables.
3. We supply power to the three nearby towns.
suppose 猜想 ; 假定
[Ex] 1. Do you think he will get the job ? I suggose he will.
[補充] 1. I suppose he is still in town.
2. I suppose that it's going to rain.
3. The ancients supposed the world to be flat.
[Ex] 1. We were all surprised to hear the news from her.
[補充] 1. I was surprised to find that she did not like his tie.
2. I was surprised to learn that he was taking drugs.
3. The news surprised us all.
[Ex] 1. I don't know anything about it , I swear.
2. Mary swears that she had nothing to do with it.
[補充] 1. They refused to swear on a Bible.
2. I can swear to its authenticity.
3. She swore to tell the truth.
(=She swore that she would tell the truth.)
[Ex] 1. Can you swim ? No, I can't / Yes, I can.
2. How deep is the swimming pool ? it's two meters deep.
[補充] 1. He can swim two miles.
2. She tried to swim the English Channel.
swing 擺動 ; 甩
[Ex] 1. Don't swing your arms too hard when you walk.
[補充] 1. He sat on the table swinging his legs.
2. He swings his arms as he walks.
3. The lamp swung in the breeze.
[Ex] 1. He was suspected of stealing the ICs from the warehouse.
[補充] 1. We suspected their honesty.
2. The police suspected that Bill did it.
3. I suspect a connection between the two phenomena.