完成 " S " 開頭單字及例句(上)
[Ex] 1. The ship sailed down the Yangtze river.
[補充] 1. We sailed around the world on a steamer.
2. Our ship sails tomorrow for Hong Kong.
3. You will be fired if you are found to be
sailing under false colors as a lawyer.
如果你被發現冒充律師 , 你會遭開除。
save 拯救 ; 儲蓄
[Ex] 1. He saved my life on the battlefield.
2. I have saved enough money for a rainy day.
[補充] 1. The firemen saved the family from the burning building.
2. The computer will save us a lot of time.
3. You must learn to save money if you want to
provide for the future.
4. We've been saving for five years to buy a house.
5. One should save (up) for a rainy day.
satisfy 滿足 ; 滿意 ; 符合
[Ex] 1. It isn't easy to satisfy everyboady.
2. I am satisfied with the outcome.
[補充] 1. I'm not satisfied with your explanation.
2. Our company will do everything to satisfy our customers.
3. Riches do not always satisfy.
4. You can't apply for the job until you have satisfied
[Ex] 1. What's the weather going to be like tomorrow ?
The TV says it's going to be nice.
2. It says the sunset is superb up there. Well, let's
be sure to go there.
[補充] 1. The doctor said she would be all right in a few days.
2. How do you say " Good - bye " in Chinese ?
We say " 再見 " .
" Good-bye " 中國話怎麼說? 我們說"再見"。
3. It is said that there has been a serious earthquake there.
scold 責罵 ; 斥責
[Ex] 1. My wife is always scolding the kids when they mess up
[補充] 1. Dad scolded me for coming home late.
2. She is always scolding her children.
3. I hate to scold (at you), son, but you mustn't stay out
so late at night.
scratch 抓 ; 刮
[Ex] 1. The cat scratched my hand with its sharp claws.
[補充] 1. He pretended to scratch his ear.
2. The cat scratched a hole in the ground.
3. We scratched the paint off the wall.
4. He scratched his name on the bridge with a knife.
5. He thought he understood Buddhist doctrine, but when he
met a Zen master on day and he found that he only
scratched the surface.
他自以為懂佛經 , 但有一天他遇到一位禪師時 , 卻
[Ex] 1. The policeman searched the gangster for a gun.
2. Business enterprises are always in search of
excellence for further growth.
[補充] 1. Police searched everyone present at the scene of crime.
2. I've searched my memory, but I can't remember
that man's name.
3. We carefully searched the attic for the old family album.
4. The campers searched for a good place to pitch their tent.
5. He searched for work at various stores.
see 看 ; 懂
[Ex] 1. Here is someone to see you. Who is it ?
2. I don't feel very well. Go and see a doctor.
[補充] 1. We saw her chatting with her neighbors.
2. I looked for Mike but couldn't see him in the crowd.
3. Do you see what I mean?
4. I now see the matter in a new light.
seem 似乎 ; 好像
[Ex] 1. There seems to be some misunderstanding between us.
Let's put things straight.
[補充] 1. She seems very happy with the new job.
2. He doesn't seem to like the idea.
3. There seems to be something the matter with him.
4. I seem to hear someone knocking at the door.
5. It seems to me that it will rain tonight.
[Ex] 1. He is not a man who can be seduced by money or by sex.
[補充] 1. The warm weather seduced me away from my studies
to go for a walk.
seek 尋求 ; 追求
[Ex] 1. Let's seek shelter from the rain.
[補充] 1. The police seek information as to the whereabouts of the robbers.
2. They were seeking employment.
3. The work has been decided, but the man to carry it out is hard to seek.
[Ex] 1. I sold my house for two million US dollars.
2. Supermarkets sell a variety of consumer goods.
[補充] 1. He sold his bike to me for $40.
2. Television sells many products.
3. This oil painting sells for 500 dollars.
4. Do you sell cigarettes in this shop?
5. Eggs sell at a low price here.
send 送 ; 傳
[Ex] 1. I will send you home in my car.
2. I will send you an email message tomorrow.
[補充] 1. You'd better send the letter by air.
2. Whenever you need money, send me words three weeks ahead.
3. He sent a letter to invite her to have supper with him.
sense 意識 ; 感覺
[Ex] 1. I sensed that there was a double meaning to his words.
2. The five senses of human being are sight, hearing ,
smell , taste and touch
[補充] 1. I sensed that I had made a serious mistake.
2. She has no sense of time.
3. His sense of smell is exceedingly dull.
separate 分開 ; 隔離
[Ex] 1. Taipei City is not clearly separated into residential and
2. The marathon race(42.195 km) separates the men from the boys.
[補充] 1.The two communities are separated by a highway.
2. Separate the white clothes from the dark clothes before laundering.
3. Brought up in town, the boy finds it difficult to separate
a poplar from a willow.
4. They walked a mile together and then separated.
serve 服務 ; 侍候
[Ex] 1. The serve good food at that restaurant, but it's expensive.
[補充] 1. Children must be educated to serve their country when they grow up.
2. My father served in the navy during the Second World War.
3. She served me a cup of coffee.
4. She served in the restaurant to pay her way through college.
set 設定 ; 放置
[Ex] 1. Parents must set a good example for children .
2. kent works hard and he is smart, but he will never set the world on fire.
[補充] 1. Bob set us a good example.
2. He set down the bag and rested for a while.
3. A round table was set in the middle of the room.
settle 解決 ; 處理 ; 屯墾
[Ex] 1. All problems have been settled.
2. It is time you settled down to married life.
[補充] 1. The question has been settled.
[片語補充] < settle down > 安頓下來
1. Uncle George didn't settle down until he was nearly fifty.
2. I want to get married and settle down.
shake 握手 ; 搖一搖
[Ex] 1. Let's shake hands and make peace.
2. Shake the bottle well before drinking.
[補充] 1. He came forward and shook me by the hand.
2. Shake the bottle before taking the medicine.
3. The house shakes when the train goes by.
share 共用 ; 分享
[Ex] 1. I share an apartment with my colleague.
2. Come and share a taxi to the stadium.
[補充] 1. The money was shared out between them.
2. Sam and I share a room.
3. The tenant cultivates the land, and shares the crops
with his landlord.