完成 " R " 開頭單字及例句(下)
[Ex] 1. You are asked to reply to all emails the same day.
2. I am still waiting for a reply to my proposal.
[補充] 1. She replied that she was happy to accept our invitation.
2. I did not know what to reply.
3. They did not reply to our new proposal.
4. He has not yet replied to my question.
report 報告 ; 報導
[Ex] 1. Report to me as soon as you have further news.
2. We are now perparing the company's annual report.
[補充] 1. He reported having seen her there.
2. They reported the movements of the enemy troops
to the headquarters.
3. Two passengers were reported (to be) seriously injured.
4. He was reported to have made an important discovery.
[Ex] 1. May I request your attention , please ?
2. They turned down his request for a bank loan.
[補充] 1. She requested that I (should) leave at once.
(=She requested me to leave at once.)
2. I requested him to come before ten.
3. Visitors are requested not to touch the exhibits.
[額外補充] < turn down >
His proposal was turned down.
require 要求 ; 需要
[Ex] 1. This complicated machine requires an expert to operate it.
2. We are required by law to pay income tax at the end of the year.
[補充] 1. The roof requires repairing.
2. This project will require less money.
3. A singular subject requires a singular verb.
respect 敬重 ; 方面
[Ex] 1. He is a respected person of great talent.
2. It's much too big. Too big ? In what respect ?
[補充] 1. We respect him as a great musician.
2. The matter respects our welfare.
3. The two plans differ in one major respect.
resolve 解決 ; 決議 ; 決定
[Ex] 1. Have you resolved that difficult problem.
2. The prosecutor has resolved to make a further
investigation into the matter.
[補充] 1. The problem has not yet been resolved.
2. The letter resolved all our doubts.
3. The Senate resolved to accept the President's budget proposals.
4. She resolved (that) she would never speak to him again.
5. We resolved to visit Europe at least once a year.
rest 休息 ; 剩下的
[Ex] 1. You must rest from long hours of work.
2. I will leave you the rest to take care of.
[補充] 1. Rest yourself after a hard day's work.
2. The workers are resting in the shade.
3. The rest of the eggs have gone bad.
[Ex] 1. I retired from an EMS company last year.
( EMS= Electronic Manufacturing Service )
[補充] 1. The company retired him as soon as he reached sixty.
2. Mr. Weller retired last month and now lives at his ease.
return 回來 ; 報酬
[Ex] 1. I just returned home yesterday from a business trip to Brazil.
2. We've got some pretty good ROI ( Return On Investment )
[補充] 1. She did not return home till eleven o'clock.
2. Please return me the knife.
3. He returned his handkerchief to his pocket.
4. The performance returned $2,000 over expenses.
reveal 流露 ; 顯示出
[Ex] 1. The remarks revealed his biases. But that was freedom of speech.
[補充] 1. Little by little he revealed his ambitions.
2. He revealed the secret by accident.
3. Further investigation revealed that he was guilty.
ride 乘坐 ; 搭乘
[Ex] 1. We will let things ride for a few days and see how the
2. I can give you a ride to your home.
[補充] 1. He rode a bicycle along the road.
2. The car rides smoothly.
3. My promotion rides on his being elected.
rise 產生 ; 站起來
[Ex] 1. A strange idea rose to my mind.
2. People all rise when the judge comes into court.
[補充] 1. The sun has not yet risen.
2. The population of the city has risen to five million.
3. He rose and left the room.
[Ex] 1. She was robbed of her purse in the street.
< 註 > purse -> 女用錢包 ; wallet -> 男用錢包
[補充] 1. They robbed the jewelry store in broad daylight.
2. He said he would not rob again.
[Ex] 1. "A rolling stone gathers no moss" reminds us not to
change jobs from time to time.
2. The rolled out the red carpet for the President when he landed.
[補充] 1. The ocean rolls its waves to the shore.
2. The coin rolled under the bed.
3. She rolled up her sleeves and began to prepare for supper.
4. The cloth rolls easily.
[Ex] 1. Four seasons rotate during a year, spring, summer, autumn and
[補充] 1. The seasons rotate.
2. The earth rotates around the sun.
3. The earth rotates from west to east.
4.Farmers rotate crops in the fields.
rule 統治 ; 操控
[Ex] 1. Don't let yourself be ruled by your emotions.
2. This decision does not rule out possible changes later on.
[補充] 1. He can't rule his temper.
2. The queen ruled her country for 20 years.
[片語補充] < rule out >
That idea can be completely ruled out.
[Ex] 1. He runs so fast that no one can catch up with him.
2. He likes music very much; appreciation of music
runs in his family.
[補充] 1. He had to run to catch the bus.
2. He has learned to run farm machines.
[片語補充] < run in his family > 為一家人所共有
1. A gift for music runs in that family.
2. Red hair runs in his family.
rush 衝向 ; 急於
[Ex] 1. The fans rushed upon the singer.
2. Don't rush! Take it easy boy !
[補充] 1. He rushed in with good news.
2. Don't rush into the new project.
3. Don't rush to a conclusion.