完成 " P " 開頭單字及例句 (上)
pardon 原諒 ; 對不起
[Ex] 1. I beg your pardon.
2. Pardon ? I don't quite follow you.
Will you say it again ?
[補充] < I beg your pardon./Beg your pardon. >
You've just stepped on my foot! I beg your pardon.
Have you finished reading the book? Beg your pardon?
pass 經過 ; 通過
[Ex] 1. In front of a private house there is a sign saying " No passing " .
[補充] 1. We passed several stores before we came to the barber's.
2. Please pass me the salt.
3. The bill was passed in 1908.
4. You cannot pass. Stop where you are.
5. The ten days passed quickly.
pay 支付 ; 付錢
[Ex] 1. I'd like to buy a new dress. Who's going to pay for it ?
2. Should I pay you now ? Later will be fine.
[補充] 1. She paid the money to me.
2. He didn't pay me anything.
3. I paid a very high price for the house.
4. I'll pay by check.
permit 允許 ; 許可
[Ex] 1. Smokinfg is not permitted in this room.
2. I'd like to visit Tibet if time permits.
[補充] 1. They permitted her to leave.
2. I don't think they would permit this.
3. The weather did not permit the boat to land.
4. These stores do not permit sales of alcoholic beverages.
5. The law permits the sale of such drugs.
6. The situation permits of no delay.
7. I will write another novel if my eyes permit.
8. We'll discuss both questions if time permits.
[Ex] 1. You can't persuade me. I insist on doing that.
[補充] 1. She persuaded me into buying it.
2. The salesman persuaded us to buy his product.
3. How can I persuade you of my sincerity?
4. We worked hard to persuade them that we were genuinely
interested in the project.
pick 撿起 ; 採擷
[Ex] 1. We picked oranges all day in our backyard.
[補充] 1. Will you pick some flowers for the dinner?
2. He picked her a rose.
3. Please pick a good book for me.
4. I picked the best one that was on display.
plan 計畫 ; 打算
[Ex] 1. Do you plan on going anywhere for the long weekend ?
2. Have you got any plans for the vacation ?
[補充] 1. She asked about the journey he had planned.
2. They are planning a new campaign against corruption.
3. We're planning to visit London this summer.
4. Do you plan to get married soon?
5. They planned to climb Mt. Everest.
6. When do you plan on starting?
7. They plan on coming at Christmas.
[片語補充] < plan on >
We are planning on visiting him next month.
plant 種植 ; 栽種 ; 工廠
[Ex] 1. We planted a tree to commemorate All Souls Day on the 4th of April.
2. That company just built a brand-new plant in China recently.
[補充] 1. We planted a lot of flowers in our garden.
2. A good teacher plants the love of learning in students.
play 扮演 ; 演奏 ; 遊玩
[Ex] 1. I used to play second fiddle in the organization.
2. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
[補充] 1.She played Ophelia.
2. She played us a sonata.
3. Play us your favorite record.
4. Do you play basketball?
5. He plays golf nearly every weekend.
6. The children were playing doctors and nurses.
7. Children like to play.
8. The organ is playing.
9. The ground does not seem to play well.
10. They were playing at baseball.
11. The actress plays very well.
[額外補充] < play second fiddle >
I have to play second fiddle to him.
please 請 ; 喜歡 ; 取悅
[Ex] 1. Now you are free, you can do what you please.
2. Don't be shy, please.
[補充] 1. The news pleased everybody.
2. Your behavior pleased me very much.
3. What pleases you best?
4. She is always anxious to please.
5. Go where you please.
6. I shall do as I please.
7. We strive to please.
8. "May I come in?" "Come in, please."
9. Please sit down.
point 指 ; 尖 ; 點
[Ex] 1. He pointed his finger at me.
2. His explanation was to the point.
[補充] 1. It's rude to point your fingers at people.
2. He pointed out that they were mistaken.
3. He pointed his gun at me.
4. They pointed her out as the famous singer.
5. He pointed at the book he wanted.
6. The hands of the clock now pointed to half past three.
[Ex] 1. She practices piano everyday.
2. Theory is useless without practice.
[補充] 1. The young girl practices the violin every day.
2. We should practice economy even if we are rich.
3. I don't think you practice enough.
praise 讚揚 ; 褒獎 ; 稱讚
[Ex] 1. The girl was praised for her adroitness in playing the piano.
2. Women are easily cheered up by praise.
[補充] 1. The publishers praised his novel pretty highly.
2. The mayor praised the boy for his courage.
3. We praised him for his courage.
pray 祈禱 ; 祝福
[Ex] 1. I prayed to God to give me peace of mind.
[補充] 1. I prayed (to) God that I might succeed.
2. They prayed that they would defeat their enemies soon.
3. The old farmer prays God's forgiveness.
4. The citizens are praying that the war will cease soon.
5. The athletic meet is on Saturday, so we're praying for a fine day.
6. They knelt down and prayed to God for help.
7. She prayed for her son's success.
8. We're praying for a fine day.
prefer 偏好 ; 較喜歡 ; 寧願
[Ex] 1. Would you like Chinese food or Japanese food ?
I perfer Chinese food.
[補充] 1. I prefer the quiet countryside to the noisy cities.
2. I preferred the title of reporter.
3. So you prefer living abroad?
4. At the moment, he preferred not to think about the future.
[Ex] 1. Be prepared for a rainy day.
2. I am well prepared for the fight.
[補充] 1. They prepared themselves for the worst.
2. The committee has prepared their report.
[片語補充] < prepare for >
She has well prepared for the test.