完成 " N & O " 開頭單字及例句
need 需要 ; 需求
[Ex] 1. I need some scissors. Here they are.
[補充] 1. The garden needs watering.
2. I don't think you need to worry about this.
3. They need our help.
[Ex] 1. He has been nominated to be the chairman of the committee.
[補充] 1. The President nominated him Ambassador to Russia.
notice 注意到 ; 通知
[Ex] 1. His new book was favorably noticed in the newspaper.
2. The contract was terminated with prior notice.
[補充] 1. She didn't notice that I had entered the room.
2. I noticed him winking at his brother.
3. Did you notice her engagement ring?
4. She was wearing a new dress, but he didn't even notice (it).
5. The plane was noticed to take off at six o'clock.
obey 遵守 ; 遵照
[Ex] 1. Soldiers are supposed to obey orders without question.
2. The student obeyed reluctantly.
[補充] 1. You didn't obey the manager's instructions.
2. Obey your boss or you will be fired.
3. The orders must be strictly obeyed.
4. The child obeyed and went to bed.
oblige 義務 ; 必須
[Ex] 1. I am much obliged to you.
[補充] 1. I was obliged to abandon that idea.
2. The scandal obliged the minister to resign.
3. The law obliges everyone to pay his taxes.
4. I am obliged to go there today.
observe 觀察 ; 看管
[Ex] 1. The police officer was asked to observe the criminal's
every move closely.
[補充] 1. They carefully observed the behavior of deer.
2. He observed a stranger hanging around the store.
3. I observed him stop at the gate.
4. He pretended not to observe our entry.
obstruct 破壞 ; 毀損 ; 阻礙 ; 阻塞
[Ex] 1. Fallen walls obstruct cars.
[補充] 1. Lack of funds obstructed the project.
2. The crash obstructed the road for several hours.
[Ex] 1. Is this seat occupied ? Yes, it is.
[補充] 1. The enemy soon occupied the town.
2. Reading occupies most of my free time.
3. The bathroom is occupied.
4. Household duties occupy her day.
5. The building occupies an entire block.
6. I will not occupy more of your time.
occur 發生 ; 想起來
[Ex] 1. A terrible car accident occurred last night.
2. That kind of idea never occurred to me.
[補充] 1. Earthquakes occur frequently in this area.
2. The same mistake must not occur again.
3. It occurred to me to visit my teacher.
4. It never occurred to me that he might be in trouble.
5. A brilliant idea occurred to me.
6. It didn't occur to him that she would refuse his invitation.
7. Did it occur to you to go?
8. It occurred to me that it was dinner time.
[Ex] 1. I am sorry if I have offended you.
[補充] 1. We were offended by his vulgar language.
2. I hope I haven't offended you.
3. It offends against my principles.
[Ex] 1. I was offered a better position at another company.
[補充] 1. He offered me a glass of wine.
2. I offered him a loan.
3. The job was offered to me last week.
4. They offered to help me.
5. He offered to lend me some books.
6. She offered me $1,000 for the car.
[Ex] 1. May I open the windows ? Sure.
[補充] 1. He opened the door to let me in.
2. I opened the window after I got up.
3. The Conference was opened on October 15.
4. He opened a grocery store last month.
5. Open your book at page 12.
6. A great future opens before them.
7. We'll open the meeting by singing the national anthem.
8. A wide prospect opened below us.
9. His understanding opened with the years.
order 命令 ; 囑咐
[Ex] 1. The doctor has ordered me not to smoke any more.
[補充] 1. The mayor ordered that free food be distributed.
2. The judge ordered the prisoner (to be) transferred to the county jail.
[Ex] 1. Do you own this house? No, I rent it.
[補充] 1. He owns the house and land.
owe 欠 ; 歸功於
[Ex] 1. How much do I owe you ?
2. He owed his success to his friend's help.
[補充] 1. I owe the landlord one hundred dollars.
(=I owe one hundred dollars to the landlord.)
2. I owe you an apology.
3. We owe to Newton the principle of gravitation.
4. He owed his wealth to his father.
qualify 夠資格 ; 合格
[Ex] 1. To be qualified as an attorney-at-law, you have to
pass an exam first.
[補充] 1. I am qualified to teach French.
(=I am qualified as a teacher of French.)
2. Two years of experience qualified him for a promotion.
3. He qualified in London as a teacher of English overseas.
4. He qualified as a lawyer last year.
[Ex] 1. The students questioned the teacher on many points.
2. I have some questions for you. Sure, go ahead.
[補充] 1. What right do you have to question me?
2. Don't question me about my personal business!
3. He questioned her sincerity.
4. I sent you a letter but I question whether you received it.
quit 停止 ; 辭職
[Ex] 1. She's quit her job. I wonder why she did it.
[補充] 1. He quitted Paris after a week.
2. He has quit smoking.
3. If he doesn't pay his rent, he will receive notice to quit.
4. It's almost 5 o'clock; time to quit.
5. His boss has given him notice to quit.