完成 " M " 開頭單字及例句
[Ex] 1. What do you have in your pocket ? A love letter for you .
I'm going to mail it.
[補充] 1. I have mailed the letter.
maintain 保持 ; 維持
[Ex] 1. We should maintain friendly relations with our neighbors.
[補充] 1. Ann and Mary maintained their friendship for the next thirty years.
2. Frank maintains his car very well.
make 製作 ; 從事
[Ex] 1. Please make yourself at home here.
2. How about this jacket ? I can't quite make up my mind about it .
[補充] 1. Mary made a paper boat.
2. An Indian can make almost anything from [out of] bamboo.
3. I didn't make any promise.
4. Careful tillage makes good crops.
5. The news made John irritable.
6. His jokes made us all laugh.
[片語補充] < make up >
We need $50 to make up the sum required.
The whole story is made up.
A car is made up of many different parts.
maneuver 操縱 ; 巧妙操作
[Ex] 1. He is ambitious to maneuver for a position of power
in the company.
[補充] 1. The vice-president is maneuvering to displace the president of the company.
2. Can you maneuver the car into that parking spot?
manage 管理 ; 設法
[Ex] 1. The car managed to avoid the utility pole.
[補充] 1. He manages a hotel for his father.
2. The hotel is badly managed.
3. She doesn't know how to manage her naughty children.
4. Long glass tubes are difficult to manage.
5. The hardest thing possible to manage is a fool.
6. Can the child manage chopsticks now?
I 7. t is difficult, but I think I can manage it by some means or other.
8. Who will manage while the boss is away?
9. He had such a great deal of work to do, but somehow he managed.
10. I wonder how you manage to come such a long distance every day to school.
11. It is difficult, but I think I can manage it by some means or other.
match 比賽 ; 配合
[Ex] 1. No country can match France for its good wine.
2. Your suit and tie are a perfect match.
[補充] 1. His latest film doesn't match his previous ones.
2. No one can match him in his specialty.
3. The color of the shirt does not match that of the tie.
4. The carpet does not match the wall-paper.
5. The wallpaper and paint match pretty well.
6. These ribbons do not match with your hat.
[Ex] 1. They've just married.
2. Will you marry me ?
[補充] 1. He married a girl from his hometown.
2. He married his daughter to a millionaire.
may 可以 ; 可能 (助動詞 )
[Ex] 1. May I take your order, please ?
I'll have roast beef and beer.
2. May I have your phone number ?
My mobile phone number is xxxxxx.
[補充] 1. She may be a nurse.
2. May I call upon you?
3. He may [might] lose his way.
4. "May I come in?" "Yes, please."
mean 意思 ; 意味
[Ex] 1. Oh, come on ! You flatter me. No I mean it.
2. Is this picture meant to be me ?
[補充] 1. What does the phrase mean?
2. I realized what he meant.
3. By "the cities" I mean the big cities in particular.
4. Don't think I am joking; I mean business.
meet 碰面 ; 遇到
[Ex] 1. I'm glad to meet you. Me too.
2. It's nice to meet you. / Nice meeting you.
[補充] 1. I met her at the gymnasium.
2. Shall we go to the station to meet your mother?
3. A policeman could meet danger any minute of his working day.
4. To be a pilot, one must meet certain physical standards.
5. The two trains met at a small station.
mention 提到 ; 提起
[Ex] 1. Thank you very much for helping me. Don't mention it.
[補充] 1. They have three dogs to look after, not to mention the cat and the bird.
2. You never mentioned that your wife had had the baby!
3. When I mentioned what I had come for, he immediately offered to lend me help.
4. Did you mention this to the boss?
5. Don't mention it.
mind 介意 ; 注意
[Ex] 1. Do you mind if I smoke here?
2. Mind you own business! This has nithing to do with you.
[補充] 1. Mind the wet paint.
2. Do you mind if I put my bag here?
3. Would you mind switching the television to channel 8?
4. She wouldn't mind taking care of our children.
< change one's mind >
His wife has changed her mind.
< keep one's mind on >
You must keep your mind on your work.
< never mind >
Never mind, I'll do it myself.
miss 思念 ; 誤了
[Ex] 1. I miss you very much.
2. She unfortunately missed the train bound for Taichung at 10 o'clock.
[補充] 1. I know how you miss your mother.
2. He missed my meaning.
3. The hunter fired at the deer but missed it.
4. She missed going to the party on Saturday.
mix 混合 ; 搞混了
[Ex] 1. I like to mix a little water with my whiskey.
2. I was all mixed up about what happened.
[補充] 1. The workmen mixed sand, gravel, and cement to make concrete.
2. Mix this oil with the paint and stir well.
3. Oil doesn't mix with water.
move 走 ; 前進
[Ex] 1. We're going to have a shower. Let's move quickly.
[補充] 1. That chair is in the way, move it please.
2. The train was already moving when we arrived at the railroad station.
3. I moved from my seat.
4. The earth moves round the sun.