完成 " I " 開頭單字及例句
[Ex] 1. Can you imagine such a trahedy ?
[補充] 1. I can't imagine what has happened.
2. You may imagine their astonishment at finding the room empty.
3. I shall describe the place and see if you can imagine the scene.
4. Imagine that you are a millionaire. (=Imagine yourself (to be) a millionaire.)
5. Can you imagine her riding a bicycle?
6. Can you imagine anyone taking that risk?
7. The place is just as pretty as you imagine.
improve 進展 ; 改善
[Ex] 1. Trade between Taiwan and China has improved markedly.
[補充] 1. He put forward a plan for improving the rate of production.
2. I want to improve my abilities.
3. She improved her leisure by learning foreign languages.
4. Their working conditions are improving.
5. He's improving in health.
indicate 指出 ; 顯示 ; 表示
[Ex] 1. Fever indicates sickness.
2. This report indicates the seriousness of water contamination
in urban areas.
[補充] 1. The light above the elevator indicated that the elevator was
then at the fifteenth floor.
2. Signposts indicate which way to go.
3. His hesitation indicates unwillingness.
inform 通知 ; 給消息
[Ex] 1. Please keep me informed of any changes in her condition.
[補充] 1. She has kept me informed of his latest activities.
2. He informed me that she had arrived.
injure 受傷 ; 傷害
[Ex] 1. Many persons were badly injured in the car accident yesterday.
[補充] 1. I hope I didn't injure her feelings.
2. His hand was badly injured.
innovate 創新 ; 更新
[Ex] 1. Innovate or we will be lagging behind.
2. Innovation is the motto of our management philosophy.
[補充] 1. The new principal innovated in school customs.
[額外補充] < lag behind >
lag behind 當及物動詞, 後面接名詞, 表示落後於...;
1. In steel production, they lag behind the rest of Europe.
2. The supply lags behind the demand.
[Ex] 1. She insisted on marrying him.
2. Do you still insist on changing the terms and conditions
we have already agreed on ?
[補充] 1. He insisted that we (should) accept these gifts.
2. Jane insisted that he be present.
3. She insisted that she was right.
4. He insisted on/upon my going with him.
5. I insist on seeing it.
6. I insisted on you paying right now.
instruct 指示 ; 教導
[Ex] 1. The forwarder was instructed to go to customs office by noon.
[補充] 1. He instructed me to deliver it to a customer.
2. Mother instructed us to lock the door when we left.
3. My job is to instruct her in English.
intend 意圖 ; 想要
[Ex] 1. What did she intend by that wink ?
2. I intend to start at once; there's no time for me
to wait any longer.
[補充] 1. He intends his son to manage the company.
2. Let's ask her what she intends us to do.
3. What do you intend to do today?
4. We intend that the work shall be done at once.
5. What do you intend exactly by the word?
interpret 解釋 ; 解讀 ; 口譯
[Ex] 1. How do you interpret this sentence ?
2. Is there anyone here that can interpret for me ?
I don't understand Russian.
[補充] 1. We have to interpret his words in a modern light.
2. We interpret a frown as a sign of disapproval.
3. Would you like me to interpret for you?
4. He will interpret for me.
introduce 介紹 ; 上市
[Ex] 1. Hi Kinslow ! May I introduce my brother to you ?
2. The new product was just introduced recently.
[補充] 1. It was my younger brother who introduced me to jazz.
2. Allow me to introduce my friend Miss Wood to you.
[Ex] 1. I thought that was a story he invented.
2. Edison invented many useful things in his life,
such as the electric light.
[補充] 1. We must invent an excuse for being late.
2. He invented a new type of stethoscope.
involve 介入 ; 牽涉
[Ex] 1. What does your job involve ? This is you and me ;
don't tell anyone else.
[補充] 1. That's no concern of mine. I'm not involved.
2. Don't involve me in your quarrel!
3. The topic involved him in the discussion.
invite 邀請 ; 招致
[Ex] 1. May I invite you for a dance ? Yes, I'd love to.
2. Thank you for inviting me. Please make yourself at home.
[補充] 1. He invited several of his friends to the show.
2. We have invited her to give a talk on the flower arrangement.
3. Carelessness invites accidents.