完成 " G " 開頭單字及例句
gain 獲得 ; 獲利
[Ex] 1. Having a good nature will gain you many good friends.
2. There is nothing to be gained fighting for this issue.
[補充] 1. Our army gained the battle.
2. He gained possession of more land.
3. We all gained from the experience.
gather 聚集 ; 收拾
[Ex] 1. Larry and Joe are always told to gather their toys
together and put them in order.
[補充] 1. He is gathering materials for a new book.
2. The girl is gathering flowers.
3. She gathered her books and went to school.
4. A crowd gathered at the scene of the accident.
5. I saw a crowd of people gathered before the window.
get 得到 ; 造成 ; ( 很常用之助動詞 )
[Ex] 1. Excuse me. May I get through, please ? Certainly.
2. By the way, how did you get to know each other ?
3. get out of my way !
4. I got the job. Well done !
5. It's getting rather late. I must be going now.
6. My whole family gets up early.
7. My air conditioner has got out of order.
8. What grade did you get on the English test ?
I got an 80 on it .
[補充] 1. He got first prize in the listening contest.
2. I didn't get any answer from him.
3. He finally got the answer to the algebra problem.
4. Everyone in our room got flu.
5. It's getting cold.
6. We'd better get going.
[片語補充] < get ahead >
I've got ahead with my work.
Tom has got ahead of all the other boys in the class.
He was talking about the way to get ahead in business.
< get in >
The plane got in on time.
The farmers are getting the crops in.
We must get the doctor in.
< get into >
I can't get into these shoes.
He got into debt.
I'll soon get into the way of things.
< get on >
Everything was getting on very well.
He's sure to get on in the world.
< get out of >
I couldn't get out of going to that wedding.
He got out of the bad habit.
The police got the truth out of him.
[Ex] 1. Give me a hand please. I need your help.
[補充] 1. What can I give you for you birthday?
2. He gave liberally to charitable institutions.
go 去 ; ( 很常用之助動詞 )
[Ex] 1. Can I use your telephone ? Sure, go ahead.
2. How about going to the movies tomorrow ? That's great !
3. I'm just going to Disneyland in Hong Kong. Have a good time.
4. Let's go out for coffee. Yes, let's go.
5. My son has gone wrong. He needs some guidance.
6. What time do you usually go to bed? At ten p.m.
7. Where are you going to stay ? At my uncle's place.
8. It has gone with the wind.
[片語補充] < go against >
She went against her father.
The war is going against us.
< go ahead >
You go ahead and I am coming.
He's going ahead fast.
< go back >
Let's go back home now.
His family goes back to the 18th century.
< go down >
He got home before the sun went down.
The price of eggs has gone down.
< go on >
If he goes on like this he'll lose his job.
As the months went on, he became impatient.
What's going on here?
< go out >
She's gone out for a walk.
His cigarette has gone out.
This method went out long ago.
The year went out slowly.
< go round/around >
He went around alone.
I'm going round to my mother's at the weekend.
< go up >
Prices have gone up again.
New factories are going up everywhere.
< go with >
Happiness doesn't necessarily go with money.
Do you think this hat would go with my new dress?
grow 成長 ; 長大
[Ex] 1. When you grow older you will realize that.
2. I grow tomatoes in my greenhouse.
[補充] 1. She has grown into a beautiful young lady.
2. Moss grows in damp places.
3. We grow flowers and vegetables in our garden.
4. The plateau grows Indian corn.
[片語補充] < grow up >
The boys grew up.
A warm friendship grew up between the two men.
[Ex] 1. I can't guarantee that shipment will be ready by this coming Friday.
[補充] 1. Perfect satisfaction is guaranteed to our customers.
2. The policy guarantees us against all loss.
guard 保護 ; 保衛
[Ex] 1. There are four noght watchmen guarding the factory all year round.
[補充] 1. A helmet guards your head against/from injuries.
2. A dog guarded his house.
3. The shepherd guards his flock.
4. You should wash your hands before eating, to guard against disease.
5. We must guard against errors.
[Ex] 1. Which is the older of the two ? Guess which ?
[補充] 1. Can you guess the height of the tree?
2. I can guess what will happen next.
3. We can only guess at the result.
4. If you don't know the answer, guess at it.
[片語補充] < by guess >
Don't answer by guess.