完成 " F " 開頭單字及例句
fail 失敗 ; 做不到
[Ex] 1. His courage failed him at the last moment.
[補充] 1. Our plan has failed.
2. He failed in everything he tried.
3. He did very well, but failed to break the record.
fall 跌落 ; 跌倒
[Ex] 1. The rain was falling heavily yesterday afternoon.
[補充] 1. Blossoms fell from the tree.
2. In summer, the price of fresh fruit will fall.
fear 懼怕 ; 擔心
[Ex] 1. I fear that I said something that hurt you.
[補充] 1. She feared that she might not find him in his room.
2. There was nothing to fear.
3. She feared that we would be late for the show if we didn't hurry.
4. Do not fear, I will hold your hand.
5. She feared for her daughter's safety.
feed 餵食 ; 受夠了
[Ex] 1. We fed the lefrovers to the dog.
2. I am fed up with this same story.
[補充] 1. We feed the birds every day.
2. This moving belt feeds the machine with raw material.
3. The cows are feeding in the pasture.
4. The robin feeds on worms.
[片語補充] < be fed up >
I'm fed up with his complaints.
feel 感覺 ; 感受
[Ex] 1. How are you feeling ? Not very well.
2. I feel lonely here. Don't worry, I'll be back in a minute.
[補充] 1. He felt the cloth to see its quality.
2. I felt the wind blowing on my face from an open window.
3. He felt no shame and no regret.
4. You won't feel the slightest pain.
5. I feel exactly like you.
6. I felt hurt.
7. She felt very proud of her son.
fight 戰鬥 ; 奮鬥
[Ex] 1. Those poor people are fighting desperately for survival.
[補充] 1. You have to fight for your rights.
2. They fought their oppressors with all kinds of weapons.
fill 裝滿 ; 填補
[Ex] 1. She filled a glass of water for me upon my arrival.
[補充] 1. When I had read it I was filled with horror.
2. He filled my glass with beer.
3. Wreckage filled the channel.
[片語補充] < fill in >
Fill in the blanks with suitable words.
Steve is ill. Can you fill in for him?
find 發現 ; 找到
[Ex] 1. I can't find time to read the book again.
[補充] 1. Newton found that all masses attract each other.
2. I've found the book I was hunting for.
3. We found him waiting for us at the station.
4. The day I got back, I found a note on my desk.
[片語補充] < find out >
The police found the murderer out.
Please find out when the train starts.
finish 結束 ; 終了 ; 終點
[Ex] 1. I finished my exam today. Great, I've got to more to go.
[補充] 1. When does he finish his college course?
2. I haven't finished reading the book yet.
3. What time does the performance finish?
fire 炒魷魚 ; 著火
[Ex] 1.They've fired me ( given me tha sack ).
[補充] 1. He was fired on the spot.
2. We fired the heap of dead leaves.
fit 適合 ; 合身
[Ex] 1. He is not fit for such an important job.
2. This coat doesn't fit me any more.
[補充] 1. Can you fit the electric fire for me?
2. This dress doesn't fit me.
fix 固定 ; 修理
[Ex] 1. Children can not fix their attention on anything for long.
2. Can you fix this by ten o'clock ? That will be impossible, I'm afraid.
Yes , it will be done in half an hour.
[補充] 1. Her image was fixed in his mind.
2. We are going to have the TV fixed.
3. Her eyes fixed for a few minutes.
4. They determined to fix their residence at New York.
5. The sight fixed me.
[Ex] 1. Penguins can't fly, but they can swim.
You've got a good point there.
[補充] 1. Several seagulls flew across the sky.
2, I'll fly to London tomorrow.
3. I always fly United Airlines.
4. Food and medicine were flown to the area.
focus 集中 ; 焦點
[Ex] 1. The OPEC meeting is now the focus of world attention.
2. I couldn't focus on my eyes after getting drunk.
[補充] 1. I can't focus my thoughts today.
2. A defect of vision prevented him from focusing accurately.
3. The beams of light moved across the sky and focused on the plane.
[片語補充] < focus on >
He focused his eyes on me.
follow 跟隨 ; 如下
[Ex] 1. Please follow me this way to the meeting room.
2. My presentation today will be as follows.
[補充] 1. My dog follows me to school.
2. Follow this road to the bridge.
3. I'm sending the letter today; the packet will follow (later).
[片語補充] < follow up >
He failed to follow up my suggestion.
The salesmen usually follow up a letter with a visit.
force 強迫 ; 力道 ; 生效實施
[Ex] 1. You may urge the child to eat , but you must not force him.
2. The new regulation will come into force next month.
[補充] 1. The policemen forced the criminals to give up their arms.
2. We are forced by circumstances to adopt this course.
[片語補充] < in force >
The new law will soon come in force.
The police arrived in force.
[Ex] 1. Don't firget to mail it. No,I won't.
2. Forget about it. Forget the past.
3. She's forgotten her umbrella. Yes,she left in such a hurry.
[補充] 1. I forget his name for the moment.
2. I forgot about the food cooking on the stove.
forgive 原諒 ; 寬恕 ; 寬容
[Ex] 1. Please forgive me , I won't do it again.
[補充] 1. He forgave her for what she had said to him.
2. He is not a man who forgives easily.
forsake 捨棄 ; 拋掉
[Ex] 1. Don't forsake your ideals to become a well-known writer.
[補充] 1. He forsook medicine to study literature.
2. He has decided to forsake the city and live on a farm.
3. She persuaded her husband to forsake his drinking habit.
free 自由 ; 解脫
[Ex] 1. Resigning his post would free him to write novels.
2. I work day and night to support my family and I hardly
have free time to enjoy myself.
[補充] 1. Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves.
2. She freed the bird from its cage.
3. This money will free me from debts.
[Ex] 1. The fire crackers frightened my kids.
[補充] 1. The ghost story frightened the child.
2. The noise frightened the child.
furnish 裝潢 ; 提供
[Ex] 1. The house is poorly furnished.
2. Please keep furnishing me with the most up-to-date information.
[補充] 1. How are you going to furnish the house?
2. John's parents furnished a playroom in their basement.
3. I'll furnish you with all you need.
4. We furnish an arm with blankets.