完成 " E " 開頭單字及例句
[Ex] 1. I earned my living by writing books.
[補充] 1. How much do you earn a week?
[Ex] 1. He has a good appetite ; he eats like a horse.
2. She has a poor appetite ; she eats like a bird.
[補充] 1. He ate his breakfast quickly.
2. Where shall we eat today?
3. I like to eat popcorn when I am at the movies.
4. If you do not work, you would not be allowed to eat.
[Ex] 1. We elected Stephen as our representative.
[補充] 1. We elected our monitor by a show of hands.
2. Gauguin elected painting as a career when he was in
emerge 出現 ; 冒出來
[Ex] 1. China is an emerging market for consumer electronics.
[補充] 1. The moon emerged from behind a cloud.
2. The submarine at last emerged.
[Ex] 1. I encountered a former classmate unexpectedly yesterday.
[補充] 1. I encountered great difficulties in learning English grammar.
2. He encountered an ole friend on the road.
encourage 鼓勵 ; 鼓舞
[Ex] 1. Children are easily encouraged with praise.
[補充] 1. Letters of support encouraged the mayor to rum again.
enjoy 玩樂 ; 享受
[Ex] 1. I hope you enjoyed it . Yes,very much.
The dinner was excellent.
[補充] 1. I enjoyed reading these books very much.
2. Tom doesn't enjoy going to school.
3. I very much enjoyed the party.
4. I enjoy songs such as this one.
envy 羨慕 ; 嫉妒
[Ex] 1. I really envy you !
2. His envy of his brother soon turned to hatred.
[補充] 1. She said it out of envy.
2. I envy your beautiful dress.
3. They envy your promotion.
escape 逃避 ; 逃亡
[Ex] 1. Nothing escapes his notice.
2. You are recommended to find an escape from worry
[補充] 1. The soldier escaped from the enemy's prison.
2. We were lucky to escape being punished.
3. He escaped the trials after the war.
examine 檢查 ; 考試 ; 仔細考慮
[Ex] 1. Please make sure that you examine whether it is possible or not.
[補充] 1. The doctor examined the boy and found there was nothing
the matter with him.
2. The teacher examined the students in physics.
3. Tony examined the baseball bat before buying it to be sure
it wasn't cracked.
exchange 交換 ; 交易
[Ex] 1. May I exchange seats with you ?
2. Foreign exchange is floating everyday.
[補充] 1. I'd like to exchange some pounds for dollars.
2. We'll have an opportunity to exchange views tomorrow.
3. The workman exchanges his labor for money.
4. I have exchanged my old horse for a young one.
excite 興奮 ; 刺激 ; 鼓勵
[Ex] 1. Don't excite yourself ! This is not yet the final result.
2. The whole country got excited over the news of the victory.
[補充] 1. What are you so excited about?
2.The news excited everybody.
3. The professor's lecture on Shakespeare excited our interest.
4. The old deserted house excited the children's curiosity.
excuse 原諒 ; 藉口
[Ex] 1. Excuse me,would you tell me the way to the Botanical Garden ?
2. You can find an easy excuse for it .
[補充] 1. Please excuse me if I have left any of your questions unanswered.
2. She excused her absence by saying that she was ill.
3. I must ask you to excuse me as I have another engagement.
[片語補充] < Excuse me >
Excuse me, does this bus go to the Central Park?
You should say "Excuse me" when you step on somebody's foot.
< excuse oneself >
She excused herself for coming late.
He excused himself from the party.
exist 存在 ; 生存
[Ex] 1. Such things exist only in rural areas.
[補充] 1. That word doesn't exist in English.
2. She existed only on milk.
3. Men cannot exist without air.
explain 解釋 ; 說明
[Ex] 1. Please explain the rules of golf to me ; I want to learn about it.
[補充] 1. Can you explain how the machine operates?
2. Please explain this rule to me.
3. I've got to explain about it.
4. Can you explain how an airplane flies?
5. The students were asked to explain the meaning of the poem.
express 表示 ; 呈現 ; 快車
[Ex] 1. I can not express how grateful I am for your kindness.
2. I took the 2 p.m. express to Kaohsiung.
[補充] 1. Really, I hardly know how to express my gratitude.
2. He expresses himself in good English.
3. I cannot easily express to you how grateful I am for your help.
4. Her face expressed her bitter disappointment.
5. Please send the parcel express.