" D " 開頭單字及例句
damage 損壞 ; 損害
[Ex] 1. What damage did the crash do to your car ? The
bumper was badly damaged.
[補充] 1. A torrent of rain came down and damaged the crops.
dare 敢於 ; 勇於
[Ex] 1. You wouldn't dara !
2. He lacked the daring to date her.
[補充] < v.aux. > 敢;竟敢
1. How dare you ask me such a question?
2.My younger sister dare not go out alone.
< vt. > 敢;膽敢[+to-v] / 敢於面對,敢冒(險)
1. He did not dare to leave his car there.
2. She dared the anger of her father.
deal 交易 ; 交往
[Ex] 1. He is a difficult person to deal with.
2. We deal directly with the manufacturer.
[補充] 1. The Red Cross dealt out food to hungry villagers.
2. They deal directly with the farmers.
3. I know how to deal with them.
[Ex] 1. The members of our club decreased by one half.
2. Travel by tour bus has been on the decrease.
[補充] 1. Car sales are decreasing.
2.These measures will help decrease the cost of production.
3.They are making every effort to decrease the production cost.
[Ex] 1. Should I go or shouldn't I ? It's for you to decide.
[補充] 1. They decided that John must stay there.
2. She decided to live in London.
3. It's difficult to decide between the two candidates.
4. As to where to go, they haven't decided yet.
[Ex] 1. Our plans were unfortunately defeated.
2. The army was defeated in the battle.
[補充] 1. The troops defending the fort defeated the attacking enemy.
2. I have tried to understand your idea, but I am afraid it has defeated me.
define 定義 ; 界定
[Ex] 1.The specifications for this product were defined together
with our customer.
[補充] 1. We may define a cat as a small domesticated fur-covered animal.
delay 延遲 ; 拖延 ; 耽擱
[Ex] 1. The plane was delayed by a storm.
2. Make sure the following shipments are on schedule;
don't delay any more.
[補充] 1. The accident delayed the train for two hours.
2. I'm sorry that I've delayed so long.
demand 需求 ; 要求
[Ex] 1. Perhaps, people can live happier by giving more and demanding less.
2. The market price is usually decided by the status of supply and demand.
[補充] 1. The boss demanded that Mary (should) finish it within a week.
2. They demanded the right to vote.
3. She demanded to see the headmaster.
deny 否認 ; 否決
[Ex] 1. The demand for a wage increase was denied to the workers.
[補充] 1. I do not deny that is a serious blow.
2. He denied having seen these watches before.
3. She denied the story to be true.
(=She denied that the story was true.)
4.He denied ever having seen it.
(=He denied that he had ever seen it.)
depend 依賴 ; 依靠 ; 視情況而定
[Ex] 1. He depended on his uncle for his school expenses.
2. Will you go to the birthday party ? Well , it depends.
[補充] 1. I knew he wasn't to be depended upon.
2. Health depends on good food, fresh air and enough sleep.
3. It depends on the weather.
4. The price depends on the quality.
[片語補充] < depend on/upon >
You can depend on him.
< it/that all depends >
We may go there, but it all depends.
describe 描述 ; 說明 ; 形容
[Ex] 1. Can you describe the man you saw in the supermarket yesterday?
2. Words can not describe her beauty.
[補充] 1. Words cannot describe the beauty of the scene.
2. He described in detail how the accident happened.
[額外片語] < in detail >
1.Would you please explain the theme in detail?
2. There isn't time to explain in detail.
in detail 表示詳細地, 相當於一個副詞, 在句中作修飾語。
desire 心想 ; 意欲
[Ex] 1. Everybody desires to live a better life.
[補充] 1. He desired us to leave soon.
2.She desired to marry a rich man.
destroy 破壞 ; 摧毀
[Ex] 1. The building was destroyed in the earthquake of Sept. 21, 1999.
[補充] 1. A fire destroyed the house.
detect 偵測 ; 偵察
[Ex] 1. The burglars were detected breaking into the bank.
[補充] 1. He soon detected the faulty valve.
[Ex] 1. Have you determined whom you will invite to the weekend party ?
[補充] 1. She determined to go that very afternoon.
2.They have determined where the new school will be built.
[Ex] 1. I'm dying for a cigarette ! We can't smoke here. Forget it.
[補充] 1. Her husband died in the war.
[片語補充] < be dying for >
She was dying for a drink.
differ 差別 ; 不同
[Ex] 1. Fingerprints differ with each individual.
[補充] 1. The two things differ greatly.
2. French differs from English in having gender for all nouns.
[片語補充] < differ from >
Chinese differs greatly from English in spelling.
We differ from them on the issue.
< differ with >
I differ with her on the matter.
dig 挖掘 ; 翻找
[Ex] 1. I dig about in my pockets for the lighter, but could not find it.
[補充] 1. They are digging a tunnel through the hill.
2. This animal can dig faster than any cat or dog.
3. I dig in the vegetable garden with a spade.
4. Can you dig the material out of the archives?
[片語補充] < dig out >
They had dug out an ancient tomb.
We are expecting to dig out some important facts.
[Ex] 1. Will you please direct me to the railway station.
[補充] 1. Can you direct me to the post office?
2. Who directed the orchestra at yesterday's concert?
disagree 異議 ; 不贊同
[Ex] 1. A damp climate disagree with rheumatism.
2. You are always disagreeing with your boss.
[補充] 1. Our answers to the problem disagreed.
2. The two neighbors disagreed bitterly about their boundary line.
3.Bill and I often disagree but were good friends.
[片語補充] < disagree with >
We disagree with them on the point.
Her conduct disagrees with her words.
The damp climate here disagrees with my mother.
disappoint 失望 ; 沮喪
[Ex] 1. His illness disappoint all his hopes.
[補充] 1. He was disappointed that other guests were not coming.
2. I'm afraid you're very disappointed with me.
3. This disappointed his plans.
4. If they rely on him, he will be sure to disappoint them.
5. She was disappointed at hearing (=to hear) the news.
[Ex] 1. he has discovered a new scientific law.
2. When I opened the safe, I discovered that it was empty.
[補充] 1. Who first discovered America?
2. Columbus discovered America in 1492.
3. The lost bike was discovered at the bus stop.
[Ex] 1. Joseph disturbed his mother while she was working in the kitchen.
2. Do not disturb !
[補充] 1. I'm sorry to disturb you so early.
2. She will be angry if you disturb her while she is sleeping.
[Ex] 1. I discussed my plan at length with my wife.
[補充] 1. They discussed how to promote cooperation between the two countries.
2. Mr. Wood refused to discuss the matter.
divide 分歧 ; 分裂
[Ex] 1. The congress is divided in opinion.
[補充] 1. The teacher divided our class into four groups.
2. We shall not let such a small matter divide us.
3. The Board of Directors divided on the new project.
4. The ocean divides the two continents.
do 做事 ; 可行 ; 使用
[Ex] 1. What should I do with these chopsticks ? Like this.
2. Let's have a break. Yes , let's do.
3. This chair would do, wouldn't it ? It would do for the time being.
4. Will this do ? It looks lovely , my dear.
[補充] 1. I have done a lot of work.
2. This apartment will do us very nicely.
3. Do as you are required.
4. Will tomorrow do for the meeting?
5. No, this color won't do; it's too dull.
6. They were pretty well done by the time we got in.
7. You'd better get used to doing as you're told.
8. If no better plan can be found, he will make this do.
[Ex] 1. I have no doubt that he is innocent.
2. Do you still doubt despite what you have seen ?
[補充] 1. I do not doubt that he will succeed.
2. They doubted of the feasibility of the project.
3. They have never doubted of success.
4. I doubt the wisdom of this course.
5. Can you doubt that she will win?
draw 抽取 ; 汲取 ; 開支票
[Ex] 1. Mary drew a house on the paper.
2. The cart was drawn by two horses.
3.How many horses will draw the royal coach?
4. He drew the cork from the bottle.
5. I'll draw some money from my account.
6. He drew $10 from his deposit.
dream 夢 ; 理想
[Ex] 1. Think of me in your dreams when I am away from home.
[補充] 1. She dreamed that she could fly.
2. Annie dreamed an extraordinary dream last night.
3. He dreamed of becoming a movie star when he was young.
[片語補充] < dream of/about >
I dreamt of seeing her last night.
Many boys dream of becoming pilots.
drink 喝 ; 飲 ; 飲料
[Ex] 1. Don't drink and drive ! It is quite dangerous.
2. Let's talk over a drink at a pub nearby.
[補充] 1. A horse is drinking water in the stream.
2. You shouldn't drink and drive.
3. I drink a glass of milk with every meal.
drive 駕駛 ; 開車 ; 驅使
[Ex] 1. Our boss is always driving us hard.
2. I drove around the United States during the years I stayed there.
[補充] 1. I don't know how to drive a carriage.
2. It is dangerous to drive after drinking.
3. He drove the sheep up the hill.
4. Failure drove him to desperation.
5. The cows were driven into the barn.
drop 掉落 ; 出局
[Ex] 1. Let's drop the subject ; we won't reach any agreement.
2. After the scandal he sadly dropped out of politics.
[補充] 1. She dropped some lemon juice into her tea.
2. I dropped the letter into the mail-box.
3. He's been dropped from the boxing team.
4. A flower pot dropped from his balcony.
5.The temperature has dropped drastically.
[片語補充] < drop out >
1. One of my teeth has dropped out.
She dropped out of school to become a waitress.
Luckily, I dropped out before the deal turned sour.
[Ex] 1. That little kid drowned in the river.
2. A drowning man will grasp at a straw.
[補充] 1. She fell overboard and was drowned.
2. How many drowned when the boat capsized?
3. A sinking man drowns the person who comes to rescue.