今日進度 --- 完成 " C " 開頭單字及例句
come 來 ; 回來
[Ex] 1. Can I come in ? No, you can't .
2. She is coming home for Christmas. How nice !
3. will you come to my mansion / house / condominium
/ apartment / villa ?
4. Please come to the point ; I am losing my patience .
5. People say " easy come , easy go " about money.
[補充] 1. Could you come (to) see me tomorrow?
2. Come and look at the picture.
3.I will come to see you on my way home.
command 命令 ; 指揮 ; 統率
[Ex] 1. The general commanded the troops to keep moving on .
[補充] 1. I command that he go at once.
2.I command you to start at once.
3.He was told to command his temper.
compare 比較 ; 比擬
[Ex] 1. Life is often compared to a journey.
2. He can't compare with his father in breadth of learning.
[補充] 1. Compare this with that, and you will see which is better.
[片語補充] < (as) compared with >
The output of the factory this year has increased by 20 percent
as compared with last year.
< compare with >
I'm afraid my English compares poorly with hers.
compensate 補償 ; 彌補
[Ex] 1. Nothing can compensate for the loss of health.
[補充] 1. We compensate workers for injuries suffered at their work.
2. She used her good looks to compensate for her lack of intelligence.
[片語補充] < compensate for >
Nothing can compensate her for the loss of her husband.
complain 抱怨 ; 不滿
[Ex] 1. The customer complained to us that the delivery was too late.
[補充] 1. I've really got nothing to complain of.
2. He complained to me about the food.
3.He complained to the police of the boys stealing his apples.
4.He complained that the exam was too hard.
conclude 結論 ; 定案
[Ex] 1. A peace treaty has been concluded between the two nations.
2. The chairman made a conclusion that the new project will be
lanched very soon.
[補充] 1. We concluded our meeting at 9 o'clock.
2. conclude a peace treaty 訂立和約
[片語補充] < conclude with >
The meeting will conclude with the National Anthem.
confuse 混淆 ; 迷惘
[Ex] 1. I am quite confused by his explanations.
[補充] 1. They confused me by their conflicting advice.
[片語補充] < confuse with >
1. He's always confusing salt with sugar.
connect 連接 ; 關聯
[Ex] 1. The chain bridge in Budapest connects two cities.
2. He has many good connections in business circles.
[補充] 1. This railway connects London and Edinburgh.
2. We connect the word "blue" with the color of the sky.
[片語補充] < connect with >
The bridge connected the island with the mainland.
Please connect with him soon.
conquer 克服 ; 征服
[Ex] 1. I have to conquer my bad habit of smoking.
[補充] 1. I finally conquered my fear of heights.
2. I believe man will conquer the weather in the near future.
consider 考慮 ; 思索
[Ex] 1. Please consider that .
2. Please take my proposal into consideration.
[補充] 1. I've begun to consider what to do next.
2.We're considering moving to Seattle.
3.Please take time to consider the problem.
4.Have you considered that he is only a little boy?
5.His health is good if you consider his age.
continue 繼續 ; 持續 ; 延續
[Ex] 1. How far does this road continue ? It continues to the border.
[補充] 1. The forest continues for miles.
2. I was allowed to continue using the library.
3.They continued to meet every week.
4.He continued his writing for another year.
contribute 貢獻 ; 有助於
[Ex] 1. Viagra has contributed greatly to men who are impotent.
[補充] 1. He didn't contribute one idea to the document.
2. He never contributes to the discussion.
3. He contributed half of his savings to the relief fund.
4. How much did you contribute to the relief fund?
convince 說服 ; 取信
[Ex] 1. We need to convince the buyer that we have offered
him the best price.
[補充] 1. He convinced me of his innocence.
2.The story convinced everyone of his innocence.
3. I was convinced that he knew the truth.
cook 烹煮 ; 廚師
[Ex] 1. She cooks three meals a day for her family.
2. He is a good cook of Chinese food.
[補充] 1. We cooked the fish in the microwave oven.
2. She often cooks for them.
cost 成本 ; 多少錢 ; 代價
[Ex] 1. How much does it cost to send the book by mail ?
It will cost a fortune.
[補充] 1. The car cost him around ten thousand US dollars.
[片語補充] < at all costs >
We will save his life at all costs.
< at cost >
You can buy the wines at cost.
count 計算 ; 數
[Ex] 1. There are always uncertainties, so don't count your chickens
before they are hatched.
[補充] 1. They are counting the books they collected.
[片語補充] < count out >
Please count me out from tomorrow's basketball match.
< count up >
Count up the figures, will you?
It will count up to a large amount.
cover 掩蓋 ; 遮住
[Ex] 1. Cover your mouth when you yawn.
2. The table is covered with dust.
[補充] 1. Mary covered her face with her hands.
2. She laughed to cover her anxiety.
[Ex] 1. No use crying over spilled milk / spilt milk .
2. The peddler passed from street to street crying out to sell his
3. The wounded man cried for help.
[補充] 1. The man in the burning building cried for help.
[Ex] 1. The doctor cured my son of his bad cough.
[補充] 1. Antibiotics help to cure many diseases that were formerly fatal.
2. Penicillin cured him of pneumonia.
cut 剪斷 ; 剪掉 ; 節約
[Ex] 1. How is this skirt ? For my taste, cut it a bit shorter.
[補充] 1. Please cut the cake into ten pieces.
2. The farmers are cutting rice.
3. Little Bob cut his hand on the broken glass.
4. He cut his costs by half.
5. Who cut the suit for you?
6. The last scene has been cut from the film.
[片語補充] < cut down >
He tried to cut down on smoking but failed.
Cut down the article so as to make it fit the space
available on the paper.